- 400g tin cannellini (lima) beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp liquid stevia
- 80g butter, softened
- 85g (¼ cup) rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 50g (½ cup) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 beetroot (about 175g), peeled and finely grated
Orange mascarpone topping
- 120g (½ cup) mascarpone
- 2 tbsp thickened cream
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest, plus extra shredded zest to garnish, few drops beetroot juice (optional)
Preheat oven to 160°C (fan-forced) and line a 9-hole 80ml (⅓ cup capacity) muffin tin with paper cases.
Whiz the beans, one of the eggs and the stevia in a food processor until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Without cleaning the bowl, process the butter, rice malt syrup and zest until smooth and creamy. Add the remaining eggs one at a time, processing well between each addition. Return bean mixture to the bowl and sift in the cocoa, baking powder and salt, and then process until combined. Stir in the beetroot.
Spoon mixture into the prepared cases and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Meanwhile, for the orange and mascarpone topping, whisk the mascarpone, cream and zest until slightly thickened. Stir in the beetroot juice (if using). Refrigerate until required.
Spread the cooled cupcakes with the topping and garnish with extra zest. These cupcakes will keep, untopped, for 2-3 days in an airtight container.