Easy ways to take your spring racing beauty to the next level
These hair and make-up ideas will provide the perfect finishing touch to your trackside look at this year’s spring racing carnival.
Spring racing is all about glitz and glamour, at least off the track.
And the right hair and make-up can really finish off your entire trackside look.
Here are some easy ways to achieve this year’s hottest spring racing beauty looks at home.
Golden era glam
A nod to the golden age of Hollywood and old-school pin-ups, the classic cat-eye paired with a statement red lip is a timeless and universally flattering look that adds instant glam.
For a modern twist, opt for a coral or brown lip instead.
If you want to stay true to the theme, style your hair with old-school waves and a deep part.
This look is perfect for Derby Day as the statement lip will add a burst of colour to an otherwise black and white ensemble.
To achieve the look:
- Prepare your base as usual. Create a feline flick along your upper lash line with your choice of eyeliner.
If you struggle with the technique, take baby steps by first creating the shape with black eye shadow, simply smudging errors away as you go.
- Using the shape you’ve created as a stencil for the eyeliner to trace.
Either use an eye pencil, liquid liner or graphic pen liner, whatever formula you prefer.
If you’re considerably fair, it’s best to go for a brown eyeliner instead as it won’t look as harsh.
- Next, line the perimeter of your lips with your statement shade of choice before filling it in for added vibrancy and longer wear.
Next, apply the lipstick itself before cleaning up the perimeter of the lips with concealer, ensuring a crisp, immaculate finish.
Smokey eyes are slowly, but surely, returning in mainstream make-up.
To make it more suitable for the daytime, go a little softer.
The easiest way to achieve a subtle smokey eye is to slowly intensify your eyeliner from the lash line.
To achieve the look:
- Use a black or dark brown eyeliner to line your lash line, gradually thickening it as you approach the outer corner of your eye.
- Once applied, you’ll want to smudge the product before it sets, creating a diffused appearance. Using a brush, cotton bud or even your finger, softly smudge the line and blend upwards, creating a subtle, smokey effect.
- Repeat the process as many times as you want to intensify the look until you get the desired effect; just don’t blend too far away from the lash line as that’s how it can start looking a little heavy.
- As for what hairstyle to pair it with, go for whatever you fancy, although something sleek works well as it draws further attention to the eye make-up.
- Keep the lips nude so the overall make-up look isn’t too busy or overdone.
Get into the spirit of the spring racing carnival by opting for a statement ponytail.
What’s great about this particular style is its low-maintenance and can withstand Melbourne’s unpredictable (and often windy) weather conditions.
The only issue with ponytails is they tend to restrict what you can do with headwear and hats, but that’s not to say you can’t jazz them up.
To achieve the look:
- Style your ponytail as desired, whether that be sleek and tight, loosely tied, high or low, secure or loose strands hanging out, etc.
- Using your preferred accessory of choice (we recommend a ribbon or silk scarf that coordinates with your outfit), wrap it around the base of the ponytail, creating either a classic bow or letting either side hand loose. For an edgier finish, wrap the ribbon/silk around the base entirely.
Forgo the traditional fascinator this year in favour of unique headbands, hair nets and hair clips.
Not only do they offer a unique, fresh take on spring racing headwear, they’re also comfortable and easy to fix into the hair.
They work equally well for up-do’s and hair down, so it really comes down to personal preference as far as how you’d prefer to style it.
View this post on Instagram
🍓 SWEET AS ✨ soft flushed beauty on lil babe @oliviabrower_ using @nudestix (avail @sephora ) // BEAUTY NOTES: base using @nudestix Tinted Cover Foundation / conceal with Nudies Tinted Blur Stick shade Light 2 / cheeks using Nudies Bloom in Poppy Girl / highlight with Nudies All Over Face Color – Glow in shade Illumi-Naughty / eyes are Magnetic Luminous Eye Color in Copper Foil + Rustique / perfect glossy pout with Nude Plumping Lip Glace in 02 💌 // #nudestixambassador
More beauty tips:
- Spring into your summer feet
- How to nail a flawless manicure
- 5 top tips for lining your eyes
- How to make your makeup last longer?
Written by Charlotte Brundrett.