- 500 ml (2 cups) coconut cream, plus a little extra if needed
- 1 large avocado
- 115 g (1/2 cup) pumpkin puree (optional)
- 250 g (2 cups) cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or powder
- 2–4 drops liquid stevia or 125 ml (1/2 cup) maple syrup, coconut nectar or monk fruit syrup, plus extra if needed
- 70 g (1/2 cup) hazelnuts, skins removed
- Whipped coconut cream to serve (optional)
Add the coconut cream, avocado flesh and pumpkin puree, if using, to a food processor and blitz until completely smooth. Add the cacao powder, vanilla and your sweetener of choice and blitz again to incorporate.
Check for consistency and sweetness – adding a dash more coconut cream if it’s a little thick and a little extra sweetener if needed. Blitz again until smooth and creamy, transfer to a bowl, then cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve. (This can be done in advance and the mousse kept in an airtight container for a day or two before serving.)
When ready to eat, toast the hazelnuts in a frying pan over medium–high heat for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown and aromatic, shaking the pan to move them around as you go so they don’t burn. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly, then wrap them in a clean tea towel and crush them with a rolling pin to a rough crumb.
Serve your mousse topped with the toasted hazelnut crumb and a dollop of. whipped coconut cream, if you wish.