- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 175g (1 cup) green lentils, rinsed
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 400g (1½ cups) tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free vegetable stock
- 2 gluten-free tortillas, cut into strips
- Vegan soft cheese, to serve, optional
- 1 handful coriander, to serve
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, to serve
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large casserole dish set over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt, cooking until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the spices, cook for 2 minutes, and then stir in the lentils, sweet potatoes, chopped tomatoes, and stock.
Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes and lentils are tender, about 30-40 minutes, stirring from time to time. Season to taste. Keep warm over a very low heat.
Heat 1 tbs of the remaining olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Add a tortilla to the pan and fry until golden, turning a few times, about 2-3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining tortilla using the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil. Cut the tortillas into strips.
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with vegan cheese and coriander. Serve with the tortilla strips and lime wedges on the side.